Formula One - F1 db  
Next Race: 2009-03-29 15:00:00 GMT+11:00 English   Portuguκs   

Go Back   Formula One - F1 db > Non-F1 > Cafe
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Store vBookie Arcade Media Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2008, 08:51 PM

Favorite Driver : Nelson Piquet StorkGrandPrix's Favorite F1 Team : Williams Favorite Film - Blade Runner Favorite Music - Cat Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW226
Hello all from my wonderful homeland of Pittsburgh, PA.

Plus, as well as your good self, it's the adopted home of Sidney Crosby!
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Banned

Favorite Driver : Michael Schumacher Dan Dare's Favorite F1 Team : Mercedes GP
Default Ski slope on mountain Pohorje

I have shot this photo about 1 hour ago, just so show you a ski slope in the suburb of my town Maribor (Slovenia). This winter there was almost no snow and it has been made with the use of "snow cannons".

From this perspective it doesn't look so steep but be careful, it is about 45 degrees!

I like those almost black and white pictures.

I have shot this photo at the end of the day, I was almost alone there. The photo was shot in High Dynamic Range technique, composed by merging three separate photos with different apperture. Photo has been resampled from 32 to 8 bits/channel.

Last edited by Dan Dare : 02-07-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Flying Finn

Favorite Driver : - ChiliNoodles's Favorite F1 Team : -

It's a very nice photo. You sound like you know a lot about photography, mr. Dare!

Ahh, snow, it has been very sparse this winter . It looks somewhat sad when the slopes have to be 'cannoned' - little strips of white in middle of all the green don't look very appealing.

Which reminds me... I hope the lack of snow doesn't prevent the Planica ski-flying event next month! It's one of my favourite winter sport events...
Old 02-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Banned

Well, the last time in Bled I used just my pocket A75 camera. Shooting photos in dark, directly against strong lights and snow surface renders almost impossible without technical aids. Without the HDR and my 400D, shooting the photo above would have been impossible.

This winter we had dry and relatively warm weather. It was just fine and costs less.

Ah, in Planica they are snow wizards, they will make enough snow for ski-flights almost under any conditions. The whole Finland knows Planica very well because your great sportsmen have achieved stunning results exactly here, in Slovenia.

Last edited by Dan Dare : 02-07-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Flying Finn

Yes, dark conditions are challenging to photograph in!

At least you've had a dry winter! Here it's been awful cycle when it's snowed a little at first and almost immediately started melting away, resulting in icy, dangerous roads. I cycle to work every day so it's difficult to stay in balance when it feels like you have no control. I have fallen down four or five times this winter! Not to mention, it's been really dark most of the time because of the polar night. I don't mind the darkness itself but you can't see anything because normally you'd see at least the snow.

Yup, everybody who is a fan of ski-jumping knows, fears and admires Planica here . I still remember the scary competition where the world record was broken so many times that I can't even remember! But I don't think anybody is going to break the 239 meters anytime soon, if ever. It's way too dangerous!
Old 02-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Banned

Yes Chili, there is everywhere some kind of ban on TC, just to prevent people go far beyond the reasonable limits. Ski flights are incredibly dangerous and should be limited somehow. People do not understand that until they go to the top and see where those courageous young people jump. It is unbelieveable.

I guess we do not have that cold winters like those near the polar region but temperatures often drop here to about minus 20 centigrade. It can be terribly cold. To reduce costs I will install into my house a heat pump large enough to heat the house during the whole winter. I will use two boreholes 80m deep. The initial cost is rather high but I hope it will pay-off once. No oil, no woods, no coal! I do not like winter at all. It simply costs us too much!
Old 02-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Flying Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Dare
Yes Chili, there is everywhere some kind of ban on TC, just to prevent people go far beyond the reasonable limits. Ski flights are incredibly dangerous and should be limited somehow. People do not understand that until they go to the top and see where those courageous young people jump. It is unbelieveable.

I guess we do not have that cold winters like those near the polar region but temperatures often drop here to about minus 20 centigrade. It can be terribly cold. To reduce costs I will install into my house a heat pump large enough to heat the house during the whole winter. I will use two boreholes 80m deep. The initial cost is rather high but I hope it will pay-off once. No oil, no woods, no coal! I do not like winter at all. It simply costs us too much!

Well, thankfully it's easy to limit the ski flight by lowering the start gate. All it needs is good judgement from the competition management which they probably have since nobody wants another horror fall...

-20c isn't that bad! Only two winters ago our lowest temperature fell under -40c! And I actually remember one winter from my childhood where the temperature was somewhere between minus 32 and minus 41 for a whole week. Our sauna looked interesting back then because it's a cold place when it's not heated up... There was ice on the floor, walls and the ceiling.

But I can't complain. When my grandfather (RIP) was in the war (1939-1940 and 1941-1944), they had to endure similar temperatures but instead of warm houses, they had to sleep in trenches or even under the bare sky, and sometimes ski for days! And death was lurking everywhere... So that's why I don't mind a little freeze. Actually I like it because it makes the air so fresh...

The house - or more like a cottage - where I live is cheap enough to heat. There's an oven here and the firewood is cheap and plentiful! This is a very heavily forested region so warming with wood is popular.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Banned

I will never complain about low temperatures again - you have explained me what the proper winter is! I wouldn't survive it!

Well, don't forget to add some wood into the oven before you go to sleep. I will jump now under the blankets.

Sleep well my friend!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Flying Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Dare
I will never complain about low temperatures again - you have explained me what the proper winter is! I wouldn't survive it!

Well, don't forget to add some wood into the oven before you go to sleep. I will jump now under the blankets.

Sleep well my friend!

I have enjoyed our discussion once again . It is indeed time to go to sleep - I have to wake up at 6.30 and we're one hour ahead of your time!

Good night, mate!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Diet Coke

Favorite Driver : Alonso! alwilkes's Favorite F1 Team : BMW
Send a message via AIM to alwilkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliNoodles
-20c isn't that bad! Only two winters ago our lowest temperature fell under -40c! And I actually remember one winter from my childhood where the temperature was somewhere between minus 32 and minus 41 for a whole week. Our sauna looked interesting back then because it's a cold place when it's not heated up... There was ice on the floor, walls and the ceiling.

Wow. Where I live, 0°C is a problem. Then again, it's 33-38°C for seven months a year (at least) here. You win some, you lose some